Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Chapter Three Incoming





I get excited for new Owl City records because I feel like Adam Young is writing the soundtrack to my life, so each new album is a sneak peek at the next chapter of my life.  So, needless to say, I was pretty excited when I got The Midsummer Station.  I have a lot to say about it, and if you don’t like Owl City, then GET. OUT. NOW.  For your own good.  A major geek explosion is upcoming.
Owl City songs are normally oozing blood from Adam Young’s broken heart.  From The Saltwater Room to The Bird and the Worm, Adam Young never gets the girl.  Things are different this time around.  As I’m writing this, I’m listening to “The Speed of Love.”  First of all, this is one of the catchiest tunes since the invention of electronica.  Secondly, the lyrics are beautiful and optimistic.  “You were so hard to find with oh, so many clouds across my summer sky.  You, my constellation prize, yeah, every single star is sparkling in your eyes.”  Dude.  Adam Young finally got the girl.  Cue crowds of millions screaming “YES!!!” The train of thought is continued is “Embers,” where he promises “It gets better, just don’t let the fire die.” Granted, he hints at breakup in “Take It All Away,” but let’s not forget the rose for the thorns.
So, love is pretty awesome.  We can all agree on that.  It doesn’t end there, though.  In “Good Time,” where Adam Young is joined by overnight pop sensation Carly Rae Jepsen (Yes, I do sing “Call Me Maybe” in the bathroom many mornings).  As they sing together, “Woke up on the right side of the bed, what’s up with this Prince song stuck in my head?  Hands up if you’re gonna get down tonight, ‘Cause it’s always a good time.”  Okay, there’s not too much to analyze there, but let’s be honest: it’s fun.  We like fun; both the nonspecific noun and the awesome band. 
In the process of all of this, I can’t overlook “Dreams and Disasters.”  The first verse is nostalgia at its finest: “We were alone on the road, driving faster, So far from home, we were chasing disaster.  Pour on the gas ‘till the gas caught on fire, we had to laugh as the smoke billowed higher.”  Hey, we may have had a few close scrapes, but they make for great stories, right?
Last but not least we reach “Bombshell Blonde.”  Now, I have to admit, I didn’t like the idea of this song at first.  Adam Young writing a stereotypical “hot girl” song seemed really out of place.  The fact is though, it’s really not a “hot girl” song.  It’s about Adam learning to make a move, even when he feels in way over his head.   Plus, the song is addicting and you really have to work not to love it.
To recap, this is what I can expect for my life this year: crazy escapades with friends that result in great stories, and some heartbreak, but ultimately love will triumph.  Hopefully I too will find the courage and backbone to make the moves I need to make, in whatever context they be.  All in all, I’m pretty excited for the next chapter of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment