Friday, March 8, 2013

Rand Paul, John Brennan, and Katniss Everdeen


I like to keep up with stuff that happens in the political world.  That proves to be awful difficult, though, when you don’t watch the news and just happen to pick up on what you see or hear.  As a result, I get behind and people talk about stuff and I have no idea what’s going on.  Recently I’ve heard about Rand Paul and him being commended and I had no idea what it was about.  So I looked into it.  It turns out that it is a recent development on something I’ve already read about that has me pretty concerned.

Here is the basic background to what is happening.  The Obama administration believes that it has the right to conduct drone strikes on American citizens on American soil if they are believed to be involved in terrorist activity.  No arrest, no trial, no sentencing.  This has caused quite an uproar and has sparked controversy in several issues, including the value of life, the rights of the American citizen, and what the limits of executive power are.  This culminated on Wednesday, when the appointment of John Brennan as the director of the CIA was being discussed.  Brennan has been a staunch supporter of the administrations drone policy, so naturally some of our more reasonable members of Congress had a problem with his appointment, Rand Paul being one of them.  So in response, he filibustered Brennan’s appointment.

If you aren’t familiar with what a filibuster is, it is basically when a politician wants to protest a decision, so he or she speaks for hours during the meeting so that the vote is either delayed or prevented.  Paul spoke for just shy of 13 hours.  Now that is one dedicated politician.

The unfortunate result was that Brennan was still voted in.  The question I must ask, then, is did it do any good?  In general, I am not a fan of filibusters.  It seems to me that they do very little in practicality, but I will say this: at least the man did something.  During his filibuster, Paul said “if there was an ounce of courage in this body, I would not be here alone.”  Why is Mr. Paul alone?  Are we all okay with giving one man the power to kill an American citizen without any arrest, trial, conviction, or sentencing?  I think not. I daresay that Paul may not be the only one in Congress who feels this way.  But he’s the only one with the courage to stand up and say so.

The most despicable part of this whole mess is the value we are placing on human life.  It is a trend that 
seems to be increasing every time I turn around.  Planned Parenthood executed a record 333,000 unborn babies last year.  Euthanasia is now legal in the states of Washington, Montana, and Oregon.  Now the President thinks he has the right to convict and kill any American who is suspected of being of involved in terrorist activity.  Human life is becoming increasingly disposable. 

Today I started reading The Hunger Games.  A lot of the books I read describe worlds that I wish were real and that I would love to be a part of.  Not this one.  It describes a North America that requires her districts to submit a boy and a girl to “The Hunger Games” to fight ‘till the death.  Not only is this necessary, but it is celebrated like a festivity.  It is seen as good.  As right.  Another book I read a while back offered another futuristic look at human life.  In Unwind, abortion has become illegal but parents can, while their child is a teenager, have them “unwound,” a process by which they are salvaged for body parts and organs.  

As I read those books, I appreciate the warnings that they offer regarding where a lack of respect for human life leads.  I like to think we’re a ways off from what those books describe.  But are we?

No comments:

Post a Comment