Friday, March 8, 2013

I'm Going to Argue Semantics


What is your definition of a strong Christian?  We use the phrase “strong Christian” quite a bit, but what do we mean by it?  That’s a question that’s been on mind some, and it is something that I want to nail down.  I’ve often said that I want to be a stronger Christian, but what do I mean by that?  What does it look like?  To be honest, I’ve not been real sure.  I am definitely closer now, and where I am is a little unorthodox.

Here’s the way the logic tends to go: if you spend fifteen minutes a day reading your Bible and fifteen minutes a day praying, you’re a pretty good Christian.  If you spend an hour in either or both, you’re a super-Christian.  You get above that and you’re being robbed if you don’t have a cathedral named after you.  I admit, I’m being a bit sarcastic.  That’s intentional. 

Some nights when I get bored but don’t feel like going to bed, there’s a few channels on YouTube I like to visit.  One of those is blimeycow.  If you don’t know what channel that is, it’s basically a vlog with quick cuts and short skits about cultural and religious issues done in a tongue-in-cheek way.  One of their videos is about “making time” for God.  The video highlights the Pharisaical attitude that this shows.  I recommend it to everyone reading this.

I’m going to suggest something that might be slightly outside of the box.  I don’t think God gave us the Bible so that our service to Him could be in a cycle of cognitive exercises.  Who is a strong Christian, do you ask?  The one that knows when to stop reading and start doing.  I’m not saying that I don’t think that study and prayer are important, they most definitely are.  However, the strong Christian is the one who says “I am going to work for God.”  Not just “I am going to read for God.”  See the difference?

In Joshua 7, we find Joshua in an interesting circumstance.  Achan has stolen from the forbidden spoil in Jericho, but Joshua doesn’t know about it yet.  They go up to attack Ai and get their butts kicked.  In response, Joshua is praying and pleading to God.  God tells him, if I may paraphrase, “Shut up and get up.  There’s sin in the camp, go deal with it.”  Sometimes we need to be told “shut up and get up.”

So what is a strong Christian you ask?  A strong Christian is one who applies everything he reads in scripture and prays about in every single facet of his life.  He looks for ways he can be Christ-like in every possible scenario, even if that means being radical, weird, or socially awkward.  He looks for opportunities to worship God, and opportunities to encourage others to do the same.  He does not only read, but he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment