Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Finding Purpose


Sometimes the most elusive directional cues are right out in the open.  Ever since I was a kid, I’ve been fascinated by this notion of God’s will and how to follow it.  As I read my Bible I was fascinated by men like Moses.  Talk about a guy who had lost his way.  When God called him, he was a murderer who could never come back home or he would be killed.  God called him and gave him an important job: to bring God’s people back home.  Quite a contrast.  Then there’s David.  A poor shepherd boy who gets called out of the blue to be the king of Israel.  Even amongst the numerous attempts on his life and the years he was forced to live as a rogue, on the run for fear of death, he always was able to rely on God’s will for him.  Indeed, it was his focus on God’s will that would not allow him to lay a hand on the very man that was seeking his life.  I thought also of Isaiah, who was shown the throne room of Yahweh, then given the charge to speak to the people on behalf of the Lord.  These men knew what the will of God was, and they followed it strictly.  To some people this may sound restrictive, like a pair of handcuffs you never take off.  On the contrary, I see it as a blessing to be desired.  These men had direction.  Purpose.  Meaning.  I covet that. 

Sometimes it is easy to grow complacent in the current state of things.  Being an American Christian, it is easy to think that since Jesus has already sacrificed Himself, we are left to sit around, try not to sin, and wait for Him to come back and take us up with Him.  As I look at things that are happening around me, though, I realize that God isn’t dormant.  He’s doing things constantly.  He’s working through His servants with a purpose and direction that I don’t have in my life.  God’s work is far from over.  Indeed, as far as I’m concerned, the work has barely begun.  So I want to know how I can get in on this.  I love Yahweh and I want to serve Him, but how do I find my purpose?  What am I supposed to be doing? 

As I look back at all of these great servants that God gave huge tasks to, I begin to see a few common features.  The result is encouraging and disheartening at the same time.  I find that they had soft, malleable hearts, and a measure of faith that allowed them to see past all rational fears.  Some might say that they were crazy, but they could see past those fears because they weren’t in control.  It’s encouraging because those are not circumstantial virtues.  Those have nothing to do with my physical circumstances.  They are within my control.  The same is disheartening, because as I realize that, I come to the humbling conclusion that I am not yet who I should be. 

This leaves me at a crossroads: I can either continue being content with having religion as a hobby and never truly having a purpose outside of pursuing my own interests and desires, or I can decide to be part of something much bigger than myself.  I can forget about myself and get serious about serving God and finding the purpose He has for me.  The solution to a purpose-less life, my friends, is as simple as this: remove self-focus and look for God, and He will give you work to do.  It’s right in front of our eyes, all we need to do is remove the shades from our eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment